Friday, January 7, 2011

My not so hidden treasure


I've had this funny egg head for quite a while, maybe 20 years. I got when a friend of mine was moving from her childhood home. Her mother had passed and I'm assuming it belonged to her. I've always liked this guy, it's quirky and different and I've never seen another one like it. For years I never thought anything of it, just that I liked it. Then about 6 or 7 years ago I thought about looking it up on the internet but had no luck finding anything about it. Then on New Years Eve, my brother in law Mike asked me about it. I told him I really didn't know where it came from or what it was but that it was signed and dated. He suggested I take another shot at looking it up which I did and got a couple of hits mostly from auction type sites of people wanting to sell theirs. It's still hard to tell what it is worth, but the information I got was that the Southern California artist LaGardo Tackett designed these in the late 1950's (mine is dated 1959).They were advertised in Playboy Magazine as a "condom holder", it is hollow, and had a handled cork stopper with access underneath. Mine doesn't have the cork any more. So there you go, I have proudly displayed my condom holding egg head for years and I will continue to do so until I, A) Need money or B) it falls off the shelf in an earthquake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG...that cracks me up...a condom holder?

Diane K. Costello said...

That is hysterical! I love it!