Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Real Minerva



My friend Lynn had recently given me two different books to read. She's a avid reader devouring books as she works out on the treadmill! But unlike Lynn, I don't make the time to read and I most likely won't finish reading a book if I don't like. Which brings me to the first book she gave me. It happened to be by the author of a book I really love, Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen. A wonderfully written book that really transports you right into the hard life of a 1930's circus hand, a must read if you haven't already. Riding Lesson's on the other hand was far less enjoyable for me. Looking back, I think it's because of the modern day setting. A story that could be about the middle aged woman living next door (I'm sure that was her point) and I only kept reading it because I thought she was going to have some sort of breakthrough moment in the book, but she never did and in the end I still didn't like the character or her story. I would have been much more interested if the story had been about her mom and dad, I think they had a much more interesting life. But this was not the case with the second book Lynn gave to me. The Real Minerva, written by Mary Sharratt. Lynn said that she had read it in one sitting and that I had better prepare myself for a late night. But what I found myself doing with this book was savoring it. I didn't want to read it in one sitting, honestly I didn't want it to end. I loved the setting of the book, the late 1920's and on. The author tells the harrowing story of three women, their individual struggles, how their lives intertwine and ultimately the outcome of their bravery. I like reading about this time in history. It makes me appreciate what I have and think about what my Grandmother and her generation had lived through not so long ago. I may have to probe a little deeper to find out why I'm so fascinated with this era. I just ordered Mary Sharratt's 1st novel Summit Avenue from the library. It's set in the early 1900's, a coming of age story of a 16 year old German girl sent to live in America. I hope I like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jill, I am so happy that you loved the Real Minerva as much as I did. It was so well written and I loved each character. Please pass the book along to someone else to enjoy.

Jill said...

Thanks Lynn. I'll let you know about Summit Avenue, I just picked it up today.